Friday, December 28, 2012

Hot Broth

Today I had a lot of plans.  But I woke up in the morning with Isaiah telling me that everything in the refrigerator was warm. The night before, he had decided to make turkey broth with a turkey carcass.   So, naturally, he boiled the turkey for several hours on the stove and then kindly put the pot of turkey broth in the refrigerator.  By seven o'clock, the turkey broth had warmed everything in the refrigerator.  But it did not end there.  At seven thirty, he took the pot out of the fridge and put it in the garage, hoping this would solve the warm food problem.  At ten thirty, my oldest son opened the fridge to rummage around as he naturally does each hour of the day, and I used the opportunity to see how the warm food situation was doing. Everything was still warm.  In fact, everything was not only warm but actually warmer than it would have been if it were sitting on our counter. I closed the door and vowed not to open it for at least two hours. Or, at least try to open it way less than I usually would in the course of two hours.  Two hours went by and I only opened the fridge four times, which is probably a record for me.  How do you not open the fridge at least ten times an hour when you have a one year old and a three year old?  I am always in there scratching my head for an idea for a snack and then my oldest son thinks he needs to do the same....so anyway, I tried to open the fridge less than usual for two hours, hoping this would help things cool back down.  But everything was still very warm.  Everything including a weeks worth of groceries which included meat, cheese, eggs, mayo and Lox as a special treat, and I am sure there were other random perishable things I am failing to mention because I have blocked them out of my memory. By one o'clock I was beginning to panic. I started to call every parent I knew who would have many more years of refrigerator and spoiled food wisdom than I have.  Eventually, we got a hold of a repair guy who told us that our fridge fan had frozen because it was trying to overcompensate for all the heat and was basically pumping all of the refrigerator's energy into the freezer.  I was wondering why I almost burned my hand off earlier trying to get something out of there.  So I spent about four hours today unpacking the refrigerator, cleaning it, putting all of our frozen stuff in the spare freezer and then trying to cook up a storm of stuff that was not rotten in the refrigerator so I could put it in the freezer and then throwing away a few weeks worth of meat (some of it we were going to freeze for later that month) then washing and putting away all of those containers, then suddenly realizing that I have NO bread and only corn tortillas and I just used up cheese and there was literally NOTHING for the boys to eat, so I spent twenty minutes making potato pancakes while they whined and cried, only to find that they would not eat those either.  Luckily I found some really amazing checks cereal that was intended for home made chex mix. So the boys ate Chex cereal and drank buttermilk for dinner. Probably not the healthiest of options but I was not about my health tonight. Then I had to put them to bed.  They don't make it easy on me even tough I had a long day.  I am now so exhausted I can barley think. I don't know why I am even here I should be in bed.  I would be mad at Isaiah but we all make mistakes and I am sure he has probably bailed me out of even worse scenarios in my life, or at least many more minor scenarios, and the bottom line is, I want to warn everyone out there to never ever put hot broth in your refrigerator.

0 comments:

Followers