Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Thanksgiving, 2012

An old post, but what the hey!

We did not get to go "home" to our families this Thanksgiving, as I dream of doing each year and it never happens.  However, this year we were invited to spend Thanksgiving with our friends from church, who gave us a warm and inviting experience that involved a fireplace, so I suppose this was a good substitute for being so freaking far away from all you ever knew about celebrating Thanksgivings.   Not that we had fireplaces in Miami on Thanksgiving, but it did make the day special.  I just wish somehow that I could get them to play a foot ball game in the background.  No one has to pay attention to it but it would be nice to hear the sounds of a foot ball game on Thanksgiving.

So, there was a lot of joy and many tears.  Matheson cried for the first half of our stay.  He would not be consoled by anything but green olives.  Everything else he violently threw at me.  So, for his first coherent Thanksgiving, he ate a plate full of olives.

The worst thing that happened that day was when I brought a pot of potatoes to their home ready to me mashed, and out of the corner of my eye I saw something quite horrifying. I looked away, hoping if I looked back it wouldn't be true:  Did I really accidentally bought fat free half and half? I looked back, and it was true.  It was bad enough that I couldn't grab actual heavy cream to begin with.  Not only did I have a feeling that my mashed potatoes would be ruined, (and I mean ruined!)  I also had to work through many emotions regarding the very concept of fat free half and half.  How, exactly do you make fat free cream? They did happen to have regular milk in their house, so I guess the potatoes came out not too horrible. 

But everything else went well.  Jedidiah seemed to enjoy his day and was a very good little boy and I ended the evening talking to my aunties in Florida which I rarely talk to.  I also looked at some amazing photographs of the Oregon Coast.

Now, Christmas is coming.....

Bye Bye!

0 comments:

Followers