Friday, May 25, 2012

Building Character

This morning My neighbor knocked on my door.  She came to tell me how to take care of her chickens while she is away.  We chatted for a while, and then she left.  When she left, Jedidiah came up to me with a look of desperation and a pair of shoes.  He said "Wan go to the tittins!"  (Chickens).  I did not want to bother my neighbors while they were getting ready to go so I told him we had to wait.  That was when his world crumbled to pieces.  No matter what I told him he could not understand that the Chickens were going to have to wait until later to see him.  He cried and screamed, and then started to pull his stroller out and it was just pitiful.  But I decided to use this situation to teach him about life.  "Son, its very hard to wait.  I have had to wait for a lot of things and it is very hard. In life you are going to have to wait, it is inevitable.  But you know what?  Waiting can build character and character is good for you." Now, Jedidiah (age 2.5) looked at me and said, "Not Build the tarachter, wan go see the tittins!!" 

He sounds like me sometimes.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this- I too understand Jedidiah's plea!

Followers