Friday, September 2, 2016

If you can't take the heat, get out of Miami

Hello.

I was born and raised in the strange town/metrapolis/suburban spraw/big city of Miami, Florida.

Oh Miami, one day I will write a book about you.  I'm not quite sure there is a city on earth as amusing as you.

When I was little I loved splashing in the ocean and spending my entire summer with my head under a water hose.   I love listening to the thunder, laying in the road in the middle of the night staring up at the stars, counting them for hours, feeling the tropical wind around me, and pondering the mysteries of the universe as I looked at the expanse of the heavens.

I splashed barefoot in rain puddles all year long. I went to the beach.  I swam in swimming pools. I walked up to the 7-11 to buy candy. I praised God when it got to be warm enough to turn on our little space heaters, which were probably fire hazards.

This summer I had the opportunity to go to my home of Miami to visit my family.  In August.  Who goes to Miami in August?  Only crazy people apparently.  I think even the people who live there don't go in August. It has been over 10 years since I've visited my home town in the middle of the Summer.

I had....forgotten......ugh.

And here I was, in the land where makeup melts off your face in a puddle. Where even when you try to cool off by going to the beach, you realize that the water has been baking in 90 degree weather plus humidity for two months and isn't quite that refreshing.

It is a time of year when you either sit in your air conditioned house, or go to the air conditioned mall, or swimming.  And....that's.....it.

No wonder when we were kids we coined the term "Fall Fever" as opposed to "Spring Fever."

None the less we managed to have a great time reuniting with our long lost family.  We watched movies and attempted at going to David Fairchild Tropical Gardens in the heat (traumatizing our poor children ha ha.) and we went to Aunt Mary Lou's swimming pool. Oh how grateful I am for her lovely pool!


0 comments:

Followers