Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Yesterday was the saddest day we have experienced in a very long time.  You see, in a little boy's heart lies a special place for a brown fuzzy "Teddy Doggie."  This Teddy Doggie has gone everywhere with the little boy.  Waking, sleeping, washing the dishes, going potty. Whatever this little boy does, the teddy doggie comes along, and has been a faithful companion.

You see, yesterday mommy made a mistake.  She thought Teddy doggie would be fine going to the mall for an outing. So we went to the mall and played in the play area with some friends, and Jedidiah brought his little doggie with him. Our time was cut short there because my friend's friend wanted to meet someone at Chuckie Cheese, and I decided to tag along.  When we arrived at the Chuckie Cheese I realized that I am not a Chuckie Cheese kind of parent.  I left earlier than anticipated because I thought I might have a brain aneurysm from sensory overload, and I realized that neither Jedidiah or I could eat anything from the overly priced menu because we are both are on elimination diets to see if we have a food sensitivity.  Doing this diet has made social situations very "interesting" to say the least.  I will write more about that later, when my children are grown.  That is when I will find more time to write regularly.

So we left there, and even though I was assuming that the little boy hated being in the Chuckie Cheese as much as his mamma, he cried bitter tears when we left, clenching his 1/2 pint of apple juice that I paid almost two dollars for.  Even though the only thing I wanted to do at that point was go outside, I discovered that the Target was luring me in. I don't know what I wanted to do at Target because I did not have any money to spend there.  I already spent all of my money at Costco the week before, because that's what you do when you go to Costco, spend all of your money.  Yet Target summoned me and I went.  I walked around there for a bit and then left and went to my car.  On the way out the door the little boy said "Where Teddy Doggie go?"  I stopped in my tracks.  The last I could remember seeing the doggie was a long while back in the play area.  I frantically looked in the stroller and in my purse, as if the dog would have fit in there.  I began to panic, and then I went back into the Target and walked up and down every isle I was in.  I then went back to the play area.  No doggie. 

So I hung my head low and thought about how I was going to tell this poor child that his most beloved companion was missing.  How do you explain this sort of loss to a two year old?  I decided to not breech the subject.  When he asked again, I gave him a banana.  He was happy.

I then went to bring Isaiah his lunch.  Isaiah was happy to see me but not happy that all he had was lettuce and a peanut butter sandwich on Gluten free bread, and then he was even more sad when I told him the heart breaking news of the loss of Teddy Doggie.  Isaiah then decided that we would drive back to the Chuck E Cheese and ask around.  No luck there.  So when Isaiah got home from work he called every place I was in and asked if they had found him.  No luck.

When I put Jedidiah to bed that night he cried heartbreaking tears and said "Teddy Doggie" over and over again. I gave him a different teddy bear, knowing that this could never replace the real thing...... and he smiled gratefully and went to sleep.  At that moment I guess I realized that I was more attached to the idea of the stuffy than he was to his stuffy.  I had great dreams for the animal.  I wanted to one day put it in a box somewhere and when he was a grown man and married I could send it to him and tell him "this was your teddy doggie."   Now the Teddy Doggie was gone. I am going to cry.

Only, the next day Isaiah did not give up.  He called Everywhere in the gateway mall to find Jedidiah's lost stuffy.  I told him I had dealt with it, and Jedidiah had moved on, don't worry about it.  But my husband had great concern for little boy's dog, and would not stop looking.  And lo and behold, we found him.  He was wrapped in a plastic bag nice and neat and left carefully in a lost and found box right behind the customer service desk at Target.  We travled three miles to retrieve him.  We held Jedidiah way high up and said "Look!  What's that?" We were hoping to get an adorable reaction so that the teen aged boy behind the counter would think our child was adorable. Jedidiah didn't do much, and they guy was not that amused.  But Isaiah was thrilled out of his mind so he let me meander around Target again so I could see what their new produce section was like.  We had a good time doing that, we looked around and I almost got applesauce but the lines were way too long when we went to check out so we left empty handed, except the little boy and his sweet Teddy Doggie.
The end.



2 comments:

Audrey said...

Aw, yay! I'm so glad you found it!! :)

Beth B said...

This would make a wonderful sermon illustration. I'll be sure to have Steve ask for permission before he ever uses it! : )

Followers