Wednesday, February 8, 2012

There are lots of things I have learned having two children. Some of them I already knew, but you really don't "know" something until you experience it sometimes.  Here are some things that my children have tought me:

Even the smallest of us sand in awe of another human being.  This is true of my littlest son.  He often will stare at his older brother as if he is the best thing  he has ever seen.  I mean, being shy of his five month birthday, he has not seen much.  But of whatever he has seen, his big brother is the best!

This love radiates even though the one being admired just poked him in the eye, grabbed his face, dragged him across the couch by one foot and sat on him, all while saying "Oh, its a baby, oh its a baby Mat-son."  Don't worry, all of these beatings did not really happen all at once. I tried to make it sound like it did for dramatic effect. They are only examples of random acts of  "I think Matheson is a toy so I am going to play with him like so"  that happen through the day.

No matter what you try to tell the one being admired so much, (the older one) they always hold the younger child personally responsible for pulling their hair, knocking down their statues, stuff like that.  They will never understand that their younger sibling is not committing a personal offense against them, but only doing their duty of being a baby.

Children have no concept of another person's feelings.  They are full of emotions, but don't seem to get that other people have them too.  For example, the other day, the older son was expressing some of his many emotions.  He was weeping and whimpering and boogers and snot were flying everywhere.  Needless to say, the world was falling apart. As I was fulfilling my motherly instinct to comfort him, I turned to my littlest, and found the biggest grin on his face that he has had since the day he was born.  And then Jedidiah's sobs grew even louder,  therefore funnier.  Matheson's big smile turned into a full blown chuckle.  So I had two children in hysterics, one in hysterical laughter and one sobbing hysterically.  The one being laughed about took no notice at the laughter whatsoever. Children are amazing. 

1 comments:

nick said...

really? i did not know kids would make you larn so much.

Followers