Friday, October 3, 2008

Childhood Books

God is America's King, She thought: Americans won't obey any king on earth. Americans are free. That means they have to obey their conscience. No king bosses Pa , he has to boss himself. Why (she thought) when I am a little older, Pa and Ma will stop telling me what to do, and there isn't anyone ele who has the right to give me orders. I will have to make myself be good.

Her whole mind seemed to be lit up by that thought. This is what it means to be free: It means you have to be good. "Our father's God, author of liberty-" The laws of Nature and of Nature's God endow you with a right to life and libterty. Then you have the right to be free."

-Laura Ingals Wilder, Little Town on the Prarie (My most beloved and treasured books of all time)

1 comments:

Melanie said...

What an apt quote at this time of so much election nonsense.

Little Town on the Prarie particularly? I'd have difficulty choosing one, but I think These Happy Golden Years would come out on top, with The Long Winter shortly behind.

I recently went and read the wikipedia article on L.I.W. Fascinating! including the role her daughter played in the writing of the books.

Followers